Our world is constantly changing, and so is our society. Social practices are changing all the time. What men wouldn’t dream of doing 10 years ago is slowly becoming commonplace. The 21st century man is able to express his feelings and emotions, cook, decorate, and dress stylishly, all while maintaining his masculinity. So where does that leave you? If you are visiting this blog, you're probably looking for some tips on how to improve your lifestyle. This is your chance to get started.

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Rubber Wristbands

I would love your thoughts on this subject. I thought it was great when Lance Armstrong first introduced the "Livestrong" wristbands for his charity. But I think the makers of these things are going overboard and so are the consumers, because without buyers of course they wouldn't sell.

We are now seeing all kinds of promotions on these things such as, Freedom, Support Our Troops, Faith, Git R Done, and of course my favorite (insert sarcasm here) the Patriot band.

I am sure I am going to catch some flack for this post. Let me try to get something straight. I have nothing against patriotism, or supporting ones faith (as long as it is not violent toward others), it is the makers and distributors of these products that I have a problem with. They are trying to capitalize on anything possible or advertise anywhere possible.

We are very fortunate to have free speech in the Western World and sometimes we forget that, but this issue is, once again, a case of big corporations capitalizing on a fashion trends. We have taken advertising to rediculous extremes.

6 Comments:

Blogger cedia said...

I think sometimes something which portrays importance, value, sometimes loses it's value/reason when it becomes part of a trend. The value is not so important as the trend for those who wear it.

I'm not saying this is totally true across the board. I just feel this happens at times.

1:32 PM

 
Blogger cedia said...

I almost purchase some 'one' bands, from one.org. My thought on it was to give contribution by purchasing it. Never got around to it. It's not so much the 'trend' for me.

But I do wonder if people truly believe in what they wear? Some do. Some have no clue; it's just something that's cool.

1:36 PM

 
Blogger cedia said...

Hmm.. I don't think I answered your question. I'll have to re-answer when I've taken a nap.

1:37 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

I personally bought one of the yellow Livestrong bands when they first came out (maybe I should have put that in the original post, maybe I will). I recently broke it trying to use it as an elastic band...hee hee. I agree with you about portraying importance, but this is getting rediculous! Good idea, I think I will have a nap too!

1:56 PM

 
Blogger cedia said...

Hey.. you should plug your shit elsewhere.

12:07 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

The deleted comment was a link to "live webcams", can you believe that these guys are now infiltrating our blogs?

7:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home