Our world is constantly changing, and so is our society. Social practices are changing all the time. What men wouldn’t dream of doing 10 years ago is slowly becoming commonplace. The 21st century man is able to express his feelings and emotions, cook, decorate, and dress stylishly, all while maintaining his masculinity. So where does that leave you? If you are visiting this blog, you're probably looking for some tips on how to improve your lifestyle. This is your chance to get started.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

British English vs American English

Once again the spunky Cedia has inspired me to write another entry. I was fortunate enough to be born to an English mother and an Indian father who had just emigrated from London when I was born. Although I have American Nationality I feel very English because of the fact that we spent 3 months a year in England. I have also been able to watch the progression of UK English as well as that of American.

Most notably in the past 10 years or so I have seen UK English adopt dozens upon dozens of American slang words that they pick up from the widely available American Television programs and films. However, it is nice to see what they evolve into at times, I recently heard a version of, “getting jiggy with it” which became, “getting cheeky with it”, and I love that!

You may notice from time to time on this blog I will spell a word the English (UK) way without actually intending to, some of the words just make more sense to me spelled the other way. Once again, I could go on and on about this subject, but I will try to give you some examples.

I love when the British say, “gagging for something” such as a shag, a cocktail, or a beer.

You have heard that fanny means vagina.

Also, rubber means eraser. I knew an English guy working in the States who asked his new secretary for a rubber, you can imagine how that went down!

At one time in the "old days" there used to be someone who would go from house to house knocking on doors to wake people, this person was called the knocker up. So if you were the recipient, you were getting, "knocked up"!

I will be adding more terms on here from time to time.

11 Comments:

Blogger cedia said...

Love it! I found a new slang!

go tits-up! LOL. Great stuff.

4:03 PM

 
Blogger boabhan sith said...

...I had no idea that fanny meant vagina...

LOL...I agree with Cedia, GREAT STUFF!

9:28 PM

 
Blogger cedia said...

Misguided, you're my buddy. Sorry.

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Neel said...

Misguided, no need to be sorry. I am not quite sure you understood what I was trying to say though. I love the English and consider myself very English. I was only pointing out that many people in England are now adopting American slang, my mum and I have been noticing it a lot these days. Yes, the language is English, but it is evolving along with many other things in our world. Best wishes to you!

11:49 AM

 
Blogger Neel said...

Yeah, I suppose you are right, but as I am sure you know the language and slang especially are very regional. I will take that link off of there and just put up some other bits of slang, thanks for your input.

12:24 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

To be quite honest with you, I didn't really look at the site. I just found tosser on it, when commenting on our fried Cedia's blog.

12:44 PM

 
Blogger cedia said...

fried?? I'm so lost.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

Spelling mistake, it was supposed to say friend!!! I think I would prefer her sashimi style with soy and wasabi! LOL!

1:58 PM

 
Blogger Crowe said...

It's not just Americanisms we have now in the UK. We have Indianisms too. All good things are "pukka" these days.

English evolves all the time. That's why it's such a rich language, and why we don't speak Shakespearian English these days.

2:55 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

Yes Sara you are right, that is why the English language has far more words than any other language in the world, it's the modern equivalant of Esperanto.

And Misguided, I think you are right, Cedia fried sounds good, maybe Cedia Baji with mangoe chutney, or just fried Cedia with chips and mushy peas.

4:30 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

Yes, I misspelled mango.

5:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home