Our world is constantly changing, and so is our society. Social practices are changing all the time. What men wouldn’t dream of doing 10 years ago is slowly becoming commonplace. The 21st century man is able to express his feelings and emotions, cook, decorate, and dress stylishly, all while maintaining his masculinity. So where does that leave you? If you are visiting this blog, you're probably looking for some tips on how to improve your lifestyle. This is your chance to get started.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Can't Sleep?

I have had difficulty sleeping in one way or another since I was a child. Not only do I have insomnia but I have also been told that I stop breathing briefly while sleeping, this is called sleep apnea. Contrary to popular belief, sleep apnea does not only affect the over weight, although most of those who suffer from the ailment are over weight.

I recently underwent a sleep study where I was connected to approximately 20 electrodes which monitor heart rate and rhythm, chest and abdominal movement, airflow through the mouth and nose, and blood oxygen levels.

I have not yet received the results of the study, but I may have to wear a CPAP machine while I sleep, alternatively there is surgery and I just recently read about a pillar procedure where they sew small pillars into the soft palate. Neither option sounds like much fun to me.

12 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraMG said...

I had not slept through a night in years. Honestly, I don't even remember sleeping through an entire night in my life. I started using light therapy back in October and now I sleep like a rock. A deep restful sleep with energy during the day. I would rather give up my car than my light box.
Glad you are getting treatment because not sleeping can be pure hell.

6:25 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

Thanks Barbara, I did some research and found that light boxes are used for Seasonal Affective Dissorder (SAD). It makes sense that people that are not geting enough natural light would bennifit from them, but I think my problem is different.

7:40 PM

 
Blogger boabhan sith said...

CPAPS have gotten much easier and more comfortable to wear. My mother had/has sleep apnea.

I understand the insomnia thing though...I've always had trouble sleeping since I was very young...but mine stems from the fear of the dark.

8:09 AM

 
Blogger cedia said...

Anything surgery is scary. I hope the results come back in your favor.

8:53 AM

 
Blogger Neel said...

Boabhan, yes, cpaps are easier smaller and more portable now, but not very sexy (I am still single). I still dont know if I will have to wear one.

Hmm... a vampire afraid of the dark??!!!

2:45 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

boabhan, I hope you know I was teasing.

Cedia, yes, surgery is scary and I have been told it is only sucessful 30% of the time. I have to have surgery on my sinuses, we will see if that helps my problem.

2:46 PM

 
Blogger sarah said...

i don't know CPAPS could be sexy on the right person..

apparently those pillar things aren't supposed to hurt at all.

5:05 PM

 
Blogger boabhan sith said...

LOL...I never thought of it like that, that's great...LOL.

I have to be special...that's who I am.

9:35 AM

 
Blogger Neel said...

CPAPS may be sexy who knows. Vampires need there sleep too, they just keep different hours.

2:12 PM

 
Blogger Neel said...

I did test positive for sleep by the way.

2:20 PM

 
Blogger DeeM said...

Ah, yes. My friend has sleep apnea and a CRAP machine. He's too embarrassed to use it for overnight guests. I think you could pull it off though. :)

7:28 AM

 
Blogger Neel said...

I have a friend that just started using one, and he says he pulls it off in his sleep. I may give it a try though. Deem, thanks for stopping by.

6:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home